PREVENTION OF DISEASE OCCURRENCE AND RECURRENCE
Ayurvedic practitioners are trained to identify changes in micro tissues, which predispose to disease and this phenomenon is called Kha vaigunya. These changes are not sufficient to produce the disease, however they form the essential base for possible diseases in near future. They may be at genetic level, micro cellular level, chronic inflammation in the tissues, defects due to previous treatment or untreated toxins in the tissues. Kha vaigunya is an important milestone in the six stage pathogenesis of disease progression (shat-kriya kala). The vitiated dosha are localized at the defective body system leading to formation of disease.
Occurrence and recurrence are two terms used in medical systems to understand basic pathogenesis of disease. Occurrence is the first occasion when a disease manifests due to first event of disequilibrium of tissues. Whereas, recurrence is repeated occurrence of disease due to many factors including lack of proper treatment or elimination of disease. However, the patient is common sufferer in both processes. The events can be viewed as ‘defective body system’.
Causes for occurrence and recurrence of diseases
Disease occurrence is a multi-factorial phenomenon. A number of causes play role in it. Disease producing causes (DPC) (utpadak hetu) differ from Disease manifesting causes (DMC) (vyanjak hetu). Kha vaigunya (defective channels of transport and transformation) is one of most important disease producing cause (DPC) and is prerequisite for all diseases. ‘Kha’ literally means ‘empty or vacant space’. In view of Ayurveda physiology and pathology, it refers to the body channels of transport and transformation. Vaigunya means defect or deformity. It can also be viewed as a factor responsible for opportunistic process of disease.
Disease Producing Causes
DPC’s are remote and nonspecific or common causes for various diseases. These can be understood by following points:
- May not be detected on laboratory investigations.
- Act as silent factors destabilizing the physiologies
- They are latent, dormant, feeble in nature, but by the time they get support of trigger factors or DMC’s become cause of sudden onset of diseases
- Often unnoticed by patients and doctors both
Managing only the disease specific causes, observed on laboratory evidence, immediate andmanifesting causes is not a wise step. It indicates inefficient use of medical knowledge.
Physiology of fluid circulation
In order to understand, the deformity in body channels, one shall first understand the normal basic physiology according to Ayurveda.
Good composition of srotas or micro channels is important for circulation of body constituents. Akasha or space, one of the mahabhutaamong 5 primordial components of nature, is important constituent of micro channels. It allows all body constituents to flow without obstruction (apratighata). It provides space required for all activities of cells, tissues and organs, with effortless ease and zero resistance. This process is continuous in living being with least or zero consumption of energy in transportation of bio fluids.
Space is also basic requirement for uninterrupted movements of bio fluids, and functions such as:
- Sravana: Permeation, infiltration of duly formed dhatus or tissues
- Ayana: Transport of transforming nutrients (Rasa) – enforced by vyana vata
- Mokshana: elimination of non-convertible byproducts of transformation called Excreta – the mala
Srotas or Micro channels
Thus, in view of above functions, the ‘kha’ or ‘srotas’ can be understood as:
- Receivers of the matter from surrounding environment in the form of food, drinks and breath.
- Transformers of this mega energy into 7 dhatu or tissues
- The nature travels and transcends in the form of bio fluids in srotasafter metabolic transformation of food- drinks and breath. It is converted into physical and mental energy first, and then in knowledge and finally in bliss.
- Dispensers of life or vitality to trillions of cells simultaneously and consistently for life time
- Eliminators of the metabolic wastes mainly in the form of urine, stool and sweat
Scope of Khavaigunya :
Therefore, the defects in the body channels can be observed asloss of aforesaid physiological performance due to loss of patency of micro channels. It is prerequisite for functional deformities.
However, it is different from vitiation of body channels (srotodushti), which is an outcome of admixture of dosha and dushya. This process of vitiation takes place at the site where Khavaigunyaalready exists.
Khavaigunya is a silent process with general cause for abnormalities in vasculature. It is a gradually progressing chronic phenomenon. The interrupted circulation of fluids causes physiological arrest of metabolism and elimination of metabolic wastes.
Common causes of occurrence and recurrence by Khavaigunya:
- Genetic :hereditary factors observed in parents and families (Cha Chi 6/32)
- Dietetic : Ignoring the rules for conscious eating (Ch.1/2/3)
- Malformation of tissues (Ch Su 28)
- The debility and remnant toxicity caused by past diseases (Ch Ch 30)
- Mental emotional and Physical over exertion/ trauma (Ch Ch 1(2)/4)
- Less physical exercises
- Suppression of natural urges
- Immune compromised diseases
- Repeated recurrences
- Non adaptations and allergens (Dushi visha)
- Micro channels are vulnerable with remnant morbidities
- Air/ water / sound/ smell/ pollen born pollutions
- Grains/ pulses/ vegetables and fruits allergens
- Wrong treatments
- Radio activities/ chemical/ pesticides
Specific causes of occurrence of diseases:
All morbidity arises due to hastily taken urbanized food such as:
- Eating sour, saline, pungent, alkaline, dried foods vegetables, meat.
- Sesame, sesame paste and preparation of (rice) flour.
- Germinated or fresh, leguminous cereals.
- Incompatible, unsuitable, rough, alkaline & channel blocking substances.
- Decomposed, heavy, putrefied, and stale food items.
- Indulging in irregular diet or eating while the previous food is undigested.
- Not required day sleep.
- Excessive indulgence in sexual intercourse and alcohol.
- Performing irregular and excessive physical exercise.
- Affected with fear, anger, grief, greed, confusion and exhaustion.
Tripods of disease prevention and occurrence:
The process of occurrence of disease and factors for its prevention can be understood as below:
- The red triangle denotes the pyramid of diseases caused by etiological factors,which produce morbidity in bio fluids and damage the defense mechanisms of tissues and channels. They are called Nidana,Dosha & Dushya
- The blue triangle represents homeostatic maintenance by ingested foods, digestion and elimination of the wastes which are nonconvertible into energy. This process is maintained by Prana, Samana & Apana type of vata dosha respectively.
- In balance state of all these three defensive physiological elements are capable of turning the pathological process upside down.
- The digestion and metabolism (13 types of agni) help and promotes the defense mechanism.
- Weaker agni produces metabolic toxins (aam)which causes disease.
- Occurrence & non occurrence depends upon these two tripods.
Management of disease occurrence and recurrence
Guidelines to restrict khavaigunya:
- Withdrawal from above said causes (nidana parivarjan)
- Timely detoxification of body and mind (ritukalina shodhana)
- Release of natural urges is basic purification method on daily basis
- Good practices/ good company repair the epigenetic mechanism
- Strict observation of dietary guidelines and conscious eating
- Good emotions, mental balance, cheerful, enthusiastic living
- Good daily regimen/ good sleep/ physical activities
- Rejuvenation therapies (rasayana)
- Aphrodisiacs (vajikarana) as and when needed
Factors responsible for prevention of occurrence of diseases:
These factors may also be seen as natural immunity or strong defense mechanism.
- Birth in a geographical region where people are naturally strong
- Birth in a race of strong people
- Birth at a time when people naturally gain strength
- Favorable disposition of time
- Excellence of beeja(sperm / ovum) kshetra (uterus) qualities
- Excellence of ingested food
- Excellence of physique
- Excellence of satmya (adaptability to various factors responsible for the maintenance of the body)
- Excellence of mind qualities
- Natural tendency
- Exercise daily
- Cheerful nature
Requirement for 100 years of healthy life:
At last, the essential factors for longevity and health can be summarized. Uninterrupted continuous movement of all bio- psycho- emotional- spiritual energies produced by food –drinks- breath -sensorium & thoughts within the designated channels and sites and for designated functioning is mandate for health (veetaroga iti niroga) (Cha. Chi. 28/4)
YouTube Video on Kha-Vaigunya: https://youtu.be/dOQDYuM0pew
Prof. Vaidya Shrikrishna Khandel
* MD Ay. PhD, FRAV, WHO Fellow in Mental Health
Consultant – Arogya Laxmi Health Care
Former Professor – Rognidan, NIA, Jaipur
Prof. Vaidya Madhaw Singh Baghel
**MD Ay. PhD,
Consultant- Arogya Laxmi Health Care
Former Director – IPGT & RA, Jamnagar
I/C Vice chancellor – Gujrat Ayurved University, Jamnagar
Chair Ayurveda- Deberecen University, Hungary